Monday, August 23, 2010

First Grade

Today was Ella's first day of 1st Grade! I just cannot believe it! She will be in school all day now! We are going to miss her! I had great plans last year to do something fun on her first day but with the boys, things were a little crazy. So this year, I decided that we would have a breakfast party to send her off. (Love the internet for the wonderful idea!)
I filled the table with apples, rulers, letter blocks and anything else that shouted SCHOOL! Daddy made red apple pancakes and mommy made fruit smoothies. Ella had her own special crown and bag of school goodies!
And the boys had their own special hats and got new books to help Ella celebrate her big day!
The night before, we read The Night Before First Grade and organized her clothes cubby. Ella has a really hard time picking out what she wants to wear for the day so we made five cubbies in her closet for Monday through Friday and she picks everything out for the week on Sunday night. I am hoping this makes morning time less stressful! She loved getting everything ready and cannot wait to wear all of her new school clothes.

Riding the bus is a big deal for Ella. Such a grown up thing to do. She was a bit nervous though when we made it to the bus stop and she saw all of the kids. She was used to getting on the bus with a few others her age. But she quickly found a few of her friends and was great!
Another great internet find were these so adorable school cupcakes. I made them for her after school snack.

Ella had a wonderful first day! She is still in the French Immersion program. She loves her teachers, Mrs. Jacobsen for English and Mme Dean for French. She sits next to her friend and dance buddy, Cooper and she met a new friend, Virginia. Her favorite parts were having three recesses and getting to eat lunch at school. She had fish, green beans, cake and chocolate milk. School lunch is definitely better than it was when I was in grade school. We are so proud of you Ella and so excited to see all that you are going to learn this year!

1 comment:

The Miles Family said...

How cute is that! What a fun breakfast. I'll have to remember that one. Oh and I also love the idea of choosing clothes for the whole week..genius! She looked darling in her new 1st day of school outfit! Oh those were the days..:)