Saturday, March 3, 2012

Mad Hatter

Now presenting...Ella...as the MAD HATTER.

We entered a whole new realm of dance this year when we decided to join the solo dance world. It is quite the process - music, costumes, choreography, props, practices. I have to admit I was pretty overwhelmed at first. I lost track of how many songs I listened to before I had Ella listen to the Mad Hatter from Wonderland. She loved it - I loved it! And after Alisha worked her magic in choreography, a little mad hatter was born.
Warming up with Austyn and Taylor before her first performance. Who says it's all dance and no play?! Cameras were not allowed in the auditorium so I was not able to take any pictures. This actually turned out to be a good thing because I really wanted to "watch" her. Everyone told me that my nerves would be frazzled and they were right! Standing there with her before she went on the floor, I can honestly say I don't think I have ever been that nervous in my life. Even at my own dance competitions when I was young. I was so excited and scared, all at once! She, on the other hand, was as cool as could be. Not at all nervous. She sat at her table and patiently waited for the music to start. As she started to snap her fingers, I started to cry. She had such great energy and facial expressions and landed her toe touch, back walkover, leaps and heel stretch. I know I am a biased mom but she really was amazing! I was so proud!

All of the girls waiting for awards to start.

The anticipation of the awards was almost as nerve wracking as waiting for her to dance. Even Scott was nervous. When they announced her category, we listened intently as they climbed up the list. We crossed our fingers when it was down to two and couldn't help but shout when they announced that she had taken FIRST PLACE! She also took 2nd overall for all of the girls who performed in her entire age group. Way to go, Ella!




No comments: